Sick building syndrome describes a range of health problems that can occur through exposure to the indoor pollution in a home, office or other building. Sick building syndrome is usually related to poor indoor pollutants, and can be caused by mold, radon, smoke or any number of chemical pollutants.
In some cases, building occupants complain of sick building syndrome symptoms that can include headache, nausea, fever, dizziness, eye or skin irritation, dry cough or fatigue. These symptoms may lessen or disappear when occupants are outside the building.
Poor ventilation, chemical contaminants like volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from office machines, carpets and furniture, and biological contaminants like mold, dust mites, bacteria and pollen are all cited as frequent causes of sick building syndrome.
Sick building syndrome can be controlled or eliminated by removing the source of the contamination, improving ventilation, and the use of air purifiers or other technologies.